Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Road Now Traveled

200 yards. That was the distance I walked the dirt road in the village of Guru-Guru in Northern Uganda just days ago. Just years ago, the villagers walked that road in fear of abduction, if they walked it at all.

The LRA was strong and active in Guru-Guru. Everyone, and I mean everyone that we met and talked to had either been abducted or knew someone that was.

As I walked, I imagined people running, rebels yelling, kids screaming. I could hear rebels telling a young boy that he must kill his brother. I could picture a young girl watching her father being taken. I know no fear even close. It is unthinkable that people, any people live or ever lived through such pain and fear.

Simon, now in is mid 20's, was abducted but was able to escape. What was heart breaking about Simon's story, is his brother. Simon watched the taking of his brother, from just across the road where I walked. That was 14 years ago and he has not seen him since. He may be dead, he may now be a rebel leader in the Congo. Nobody knows. Nobody may ever know.

Today, just 4 years after the last known rebel attack (and the first year that we visited Gulu), the road is peaceful. People walk it. Life is returning to normal, though ever slowly. You don't hear screaming or gunfire. But the fear is still there. The pain still strong. Wounds have not healed. Families still ripped apart. There is shame and guilt.

I count it a tremendous privilege to walk the road with my new friends, becoming a part of their story and recovery.

0 comments: