Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Snowmen and Angels

Don't ask me how, but I've forgotten the magic of snowfall.  Today, I've been reminded.  Standing in the front yard of my in-laws place taking a break from the kitchen duties, the scampering of children, and the endless shreds of wrapping paper to marvel at the brilliance of freshly falling snow.  In all honesty, I don't think anyone can look up into the sky on a chilly winter night, feel the gentle kisses of snowflakes on their lips and deny that what is happening in that moment is anything less than inspiring.  Something to enliven the spirit and recapture that feeling of wonder.  Tonight was just that, a chance to breathe in the essence of a moment bigger and more "wonder"-ful than I had remembered it could be.

I was interrupted by my daughter who, first, threw a snowball at me, then grabbed me by the gloved hand and pulled me to the sidewalk where she looked at me as if she had just had the most ingenious idea ever.  She lay down in the snow on her back, stretched her arms and legs out to her sides and moved them up and down.  I pulled her up by her hands.  She kept her feet in the same place so as not to disrupt the design she had just made, as if she had done this a million times before.   (Reminder to some, this is Maggie's first experience of snow).  She turned around and looked at her imprint in the snow.  Her eyes lit up like I have never seen them as she gazed at the perfect image of an angel.  She looked at me.  I looked at her.  I said, "It's beautiful.  You made an angel.  How did you know how to do that?".  She looked back at the angel and back at me, with a look that was equal parts whimsy and awe.  "I have no idea," she whispered.

Merry Christmas.  May you always be filled with the magic of snowfall.

From Reno with Love,
Ali

1 comments:

Morgan said...

Loved this post.