Monday, April 16, 2012

Back to School

Today went a little different than I had planned. We ate breakfast, packed Perez's lunch and dropped him off at school for the first day back after Spring Break (and for us...the first day after a long trip). A month ago, I had envisioned this day with another participant. I would get both the kids up, we would all eat breakfast together, we would have the excitement of Maggie's first day, I would pack two lunches, I would walk both kids into class and introduce Maggie to her new teacher. Okay, okay. I know this is a little too angelic for the first day back to school with two jet-lagged kids, one of which isn't feeling much like going back and one of which has never even been there in the first place, but please, just give a mom a moment to dream.

After letting Perez out of the car my heart sank a little. I watched my son walk in to school alone. Only a few weeks ago I pictured this exact situation with Perez walking past the gate holding Maggie's hand. Life has a way of painting new pictures for us. We can't help but think of what the future holds. We can't help but envision what may happen. If only we could truly live in the present, than maybe the future wouldn't look so good that we wished we were already there.

Standing in direct opposition to this train of thought is one that suggest the future breathes hope into the present. I would probably agree, but ask me on a different day.

I have resolved, for however long or short of a time this lasts, to play the cards as they come. That's not to say that I'm not still thinking about tomorrow, but more so that I will also still think about today.

From San Diego with Love,
Ali

1 comments:

klalib said...

Praying for you, Ali. I know how difficult this season can be.