Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Fruit of My Labor


Let’s stand up and give a rowdy round of applause to all the women around the world who wash their clothes by hand! [APPLAUSE]


I spent my Saturday morning the same way many women in Uganda do. I cleaned the apartment, made our beds and washed our clothes. The only difference is that we have no machine. Wanting to fit in as much as possible, I chose to wash Perez and Maggie’s clothes myself. Many women offered to do it for me, but I replied that I wash my own clothes in America. “By hand,” one women questioned with a smile. “No” I said laughing. “I am capable, though.” “You will get sores here” she said, pointing to the skin close to the knuckles. “I don’t mind,” I replied. “You will after a few washes” she said. We both laughed.


After a few hours and only a few pieces of clothes I resolved to do the rest tomorrow! No sores yet, but the detergent here is very strong. I’m sure I will have a few by the next wash. Many thoughts on culture in regards to this but it only makes me love it here all the more. There is something so real and hardworking and earthy about this place that it enlivens my spirit.


From Uganda with love and some raw hands,

Ali


0 comments: