Monday, March 26, 2012

When is God good

In a few hours we will receive the ruling from our judge, and I’m troubled. I’m troubled by what I have perceived in the last few days as a prevailing theology as it relates to the goodness of God. It goes something like this, “If and when I get what I am hoping for, then my resounding response will be, God is good!” But when the outcome is something other than what I hoped for, is God still good. Do I keep fighting until I get my way (and then say God is good)?


Is God good only when I get my way? Do outcomes and circumstances dictate my view of God? Many will quickly answer “no,” but these days I am having to check myself.


Last night, we were sitting on the roof of our apartment watching the Ugandan sunset, and Ali shared this verse. This is so good. So helpful.

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I will trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me. Psalm 13


I don’t like the silence of Christians when things aren’t going the way that we had hoped. Why can’t we shout that God is good even when our circumstances are not? Ali and I have been discussing these things while waiting to hear from the judge. How we respond matters to us. We want to believe that whatever happens in this adoption, that it is of God, and we will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to us, whatever the outcome may be. Sure, one outcome will generate a more positive emotion than the other, but it will not change that God is good.


When is God Good? As they say here in Uganda, "All the time!"


From Uganda with love,

Steve


0 comments: