Thursday, March 22, 2012

Morally Upright

I know, I know. By the sounds of the title you think I might lecture about some spiritual practice we should emulate in the states. Or maybe you think this is a post from Steve. Incorrect by both of those measures. This is actually a post about food.


For the last 5 years we have been happily walking around town going to open air markets and munching on the produce we buy there on our walk back. Yesterday, we stopped doing that. We were walking with our good friend Godwin on the way back from doing sponsorship work in a town called Lugazi. We stopped at a street side vendor to buy chapati, which is very similar to a tortilla, only a little thicker, and it is often eaten by itself. If cooked fresh, they are awesome! We bought three and passed them out to myself, Steve and Godwin. Godwin wrapped his up and put it away. Steve asked if he was hungry and he said yes, but that he doesn’t eat and walk. We thought it may have something to do with it being a safety hazard on chaotic streets. You always want to be paying attention around here so you don’t get side swiped by a boda boda or fall into the rain ditch carved into the side of the road. He said it has nothing to do with that, but that eating and walking is not morally upright. He related it back to the bible where people are taught to sit down and break bread together. Even within the school we work at, they are taught the same thing. This explained a lot for me in regards to observations I’ve made over the past years. This also gave me reason to put my chapati away until I returned to the school. I already stand out enough in this culture, I don’t want to point more attention to myself especially when it deals with morality. For the past five years in Uganda, we have been living a life of immorality...and Steve calls himself a pastor! Unbelievable!


From Uganda with food in my pockets,

Ali

2 comments:

Emmet said...

I started referring them to Mark 2:23 where Jesus defends the disciples as they eat grain while walking through the field. Granted, that was just because I wanted to drink my coffee while I stood and talked with people.

Steve said...

Sounds good. I'll try that one.